Most of us know the value of running our ceiling fans in the summer. They can save you money on cooling costs and keep your home feeling fresh and comfortable. However, if you’re letting your fan sit unused all winter, then you’re not using it to its full potential. It may seem like an oxymoron, but fans are great for year round comfort in both hot and cold weather. Learn how a ceiling fan can help your home this winter.
Year Round Comfort
In the summer months, ceiling fans work by making us feel cooler. Fans don’t actually lower the temperature in the room; they just move the air around our skin, cooling us. However, fans have another job than just making us feel cooler. They also circulate the air in the room, keeping the air feeling fresh.
During the winter months, the fan is just as useful. Most ceiling fans have a switch to make them move clockwise or “reverse.” While this may seem strange, it is actually one of the most useful things you can do in the winter. When the blades run clockwise, instead of pushing air down, the fan pulls the air up. Why would you do this? It’s simple science. Hot air rises, and is collecting at the top of your ceiling, while the colder air is at the bottom of the room, where you are. By forcing the cooler air up, you push the warmer air down. This helps equalize the room’s temperature and saves you money on heating costs.
Which Fan Is Right For Your Home?
Investing in a good ceiling fan can greatly impact your home’s comfort. When picking out a ceiling fan for your home, it’s important to keep these tips in mind:
- The larger the room, the larger the fan you will need. If your room is more than 225 square feet, choose a fan with 52-inch blades.
- If the room is more than 18 feet long, then you may need more than one ceiling fan.
- Rooms need to be at least 8 feet high to benefit from a ceiling fan.
- If you are buying a ceiling fan and do not already have one installed, you will need to consult a licensed electrician before installing.
- For extra energy savings, go with an ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fan.
Keep Your Home Comfy All Year
While a ceiling fan can help keep your home feeling comfortable, it won’t do much unless you have a properly working HVAC. At Engineered Air, our team is dedicated to keeping your home feeling great through every season. Keep your home feeling fresh; give Engineered Air a call today.