You probably assume that the air inside of your home is clean, right? Think again. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the air inside of most homes and buildings is anywhere between two to five times more polluted than the air outdoors. In some extreme cases, the air quality inside has been measured up to 100 times more polluted than the outdoor air. Yikes. Considering the average human spends up to 90 percent of their time indoors, these statistics are pretty scary. Learn about what causes the indoor air to be so polluted and what you can do to improve it.
What Causes Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Poor indoor air quality affects nearly every space, especially since there are so many things that can cause your IAQ to suffer. While indoor air pollution has many catalysts, here are some of the biggest causes:
– Household Cleaning Products
– Heaters, Fireplaces, Chimneys
– Poor Ventilation
What are the Dangers of Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Out of all of these dangers in your home, poor IAQ is one of the most dangerous to you and your family’s health. Poor indoor air quality can cause problematic symptoms, such as:
– Muscle Aches
– Sinus Problems
– Sore Throat
And while these symptoms may just be an annoyance, poor indoor air quality can have repercussions that are far more serious, such as:
– Lung Cancer
– Respiratory Diseases
How to Boost Your Indoor Air Quality
Fortunately, improving the air quality inside of your home is relatively easy with a few easy tips and tricks.
– Ventilation: Ventilation is a game changer when it comes to improving the air quality inside of your home. Poor IAQ occurs when the “bad” air can’t escape from your home. Adding ventilation to your home by opening the windows is an easy way to naturally filter the toxins.
– Buy a Houseplant: Houseplants aren’t only aesthetically pleasing, but they can remove toxins naturally, too. Peace lilies, rubber plants, Boston ferns, and English ivy are among the top houseplants for improving IAQ.
– Maintain Your AC: Your air conditioning system plays a big role in the overall quality of the air inside of your home.
For starters, you need to make sure you’re changing the air filters regularly if you’re not already since these work to filter pollutants before they are dispersed throughout your home. Similarly, if your AC isn’t regularly cleaned and maintained, dust, dander and the like can build up and increase the number of pollutants in your home. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, make sure the professionals at Engineered Air regularly maintain your AC.
Improve Your Indoor Air Quality with Engineered Air
Your home should be comfortable and above all, safe. Don’t put yourself and your loved ones at risk by exposing them to poor IAQ! At Engineered Air, we’re on a mission to make your home comfortable and clean! To do so, we provide quality AC products and services that work to cool your home while cleaning the air. Give us a call to learn more about IAQ and how we can help to improve the IAQ in your home today!