Floridians know all too well how quickly the temperature can rise during power outages. We rely on air conditioning for just about everything, and when it goes out many of us just feel helpless. But don’t panic! Follow these simple tips and tricks and you will be able to keep your cool the nest time the power goes out.
What to Do During a Power Outage
When the power goes out in the heat, the most important thing to do is stay calm. Chances are it will come back soon, but if it appears to be lasting a while, follow these steps:
- Call your power company. They probably know already, but just in case give them a call. Plus this is a good way to find out if it is everyone’s power, or just yours that is out. It’s a good idea to have your power company’s number written down somewhere accessible, as you may not be able to look it up online if the power is out.
- Unplug major appliances. When the power does come back on, it might cause a power surge. This could damage your appliances. Make sure you unplug sensitive electrical devices such as computers, microwaves or televisions.
- Don’t open your fridge. Doing this will allow the cold air to escape and make your food go bad faster.
- Don’t go near any power lines. If any power lines did fall down, stay away and call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.
- Check on elderly neighbors. The elderly feel the heat the worst. Check on your older neighbors to make sure they are doing alright and see if there is anything you can do for them.
How to Stay Cool Without Electricity
One of the worst parts of losing the power is no longer having air conditioning in your home. Inside, it can get dangerously hot without AC. Here are some good ways to stay cool when the electricity is gone.
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is the best way to beat the heat. Drink plenty of water when the AC goes out to stay cool.
- Wear light clothing. This will make you feel cooler.
- Take a cool shower. Cold water will lower your body temperature and help you feel better.
- Go for a swim. The great thing about living in Florida is, if you don’t have a pool, chances are, your neighbor does. Have a neighborhood pool party to beat the heat and boredom.
- Open all the windows and doors. This will allow any breezes to come in and cool down your home.
- Leave the house. Just because your house has lost its AC doesn’t mean other places have. Try cooling off at the local mall while waiting for your AC to come back on. Or, if you have a sweet tooth, go out and enjoy some ice cream.
To keep cool all year round, call Engineered Air today. Our professional technicians have to skills and tools needed to keep your air conditioner system working its best.