Every year thousands of people celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but do you know the story behind the big holiday? Learn the history behind May 5th and what holiday events are going on in Broward and Palm Beach counties.
How Cinco de Mayo Began
The story of Cinco de Mayo goes way back to 1862, during the French-Mexican War. Long story short, a French fleet stormed into a small town in Mexico called Puebla de Los Angeles on May 5th. Due to a successful fortification by Mexico’s president, Benito Juarez, and General Zaragoza’s loyal army, the French ended up retreating before the end of the day after losing 500 soldiers — compared to less than 100 Mexican soldiers.
Although a small victory at the time, this led to a Mexican victory over the French six years later. Mexicans celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla as Cinco de Mayo, which is now a national holiday in Mexico.
Celebrate by Attending a Cinco de Mayo Event (or Two!)
Looking for a few good ideas to celebrate the holiday? Here are a variety of fun and exciting events happening around South Florida.
– Rocco’s Tacos is having an all-day party featuring giveaways and live bands — not to mention specials on the holiday favorites like Corona and tequila! With locations in West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach Gardens, there’s sure to be one conveniently located near you!
– More of a beach bum? Check out the annual party at Taco Beach Shack on Hollywood Beach! Beer bucket specials, live music and a taco eating contest…who could ask for more?
– Another great option will be filling up the street–literally! Tacocraft is having a street party in Fort Lauderdale the night of Cinco de Mayo from 4 p.m. until 2 a.m.
Palm Beach County
– Wanting to try something new? Try Dos Amigos for their first Cinco de Mayo fiesta with WiLD 95.5 and DJ Blondie from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m. More than just about the food and drinks, come enjoy their historic and culture-filled district for the holiday!
– If you’re hoping to pinch a few pennies while still having fun, check out the Cinco de Mayo celebration on the West Palm Beach Waterfront! Featuring a Latin band that blends music from both Latin and American cultures, you’re sure to have a blast listening to new music and all your modern favorites.
– Salute Market in Palm Beach Gardens is also hosting a Cinco de Mayo event beginning at 4 p.m. Come visit for live music, sombreros, and (of course) your favorite food and drinks on specials for the evening!
Happy Cinco De Mayo from Engineered Air!
At Engineered Air, we hope you have a fun and safe holiday! And as always, we’re here to help your home stay cool and comfortable now that the temperatures are heating up. Call us for your air conditioning maintenance, installation or repair needs any time. We’ll answer any questions you have and get your home back to cool in no time!