Living in Florida, having a working air conditioner is as essential as having clean drinking water. Not only does it get awfully hot here, but the humidity takes the misery factor to a whole other level.
This is why, if when you turn it on, the system is annoyingly loud, you might call for a repair service faster than you would call 911 for an emergency.
But what if there are a few things you can do on your own to repair it? Below we’ve listed some of the most common issues and how you can fix them.
How to Troubleshoot Your Loud Air Conditioner
1. Turn off the breakers: We always start by stating the obvious. We don’t want you to die of an electric shock. Straight to the point. Turn off the breakers.
2. Check the air filters: This is one of the most common (and most preventable) issues with an AC. If you have a filter that’s loaded with debris, it’s possible all that junk has also accumulated on the fan blades. Change your filters once a month to keep the air flow moving unobstructed.
3. Inspect the fan blades: Jiggle it to see if it’s loose. If so, tighten it with a screwdriver. If that’s not the issue, check to see if any of the blades are bent. If they are, straighten them.
4. Inspect the coils: Just as with the fan blades, coils can get bent because of accumulated debris. If that’s the case, straighten them. You can do this best with a condenser fan comb.
5. Lubricate the motor: If your AC motor needs lubrication, it’ll make a grinding noise. You’ll have to do this by going outside to the condenser unit. You’ll need a nut driver, a flat head screwdriver, and AC lubricant. For simple directions on how to do it yourself, click here.
6. Refrigerant leak: Something else that may be causing noises is a refrigerant leak. But if that’s the case, you’ll have to call an HVAC repair technician to take care of it. You’ll know if this is the issue if you hear a hissing sound from your AC and the system isn’t cooling properly. This is a more serious issue because it could result in poisoning. That’s why we recommend calling an expert.
While most of the listed items are relatively simple, we don’t want you to feel overwhelmed. If you don’t want to deal with any of it, or are afraid of causing more damage, we’d be happy to assist you.
Contact Engineered Air Today for AC Repair Service in Pompano Beach
At Engineered Air, we have an entire team of experienced HVAC professionals. Whether you need services for your home or commercial space, we can help you.
Call us at (855) 830-2292. We’ll get your AC working properly in no time.