Earth Day is on April 22 each year. Do you have anything planned in South Florida to celebrate our planet? Keep reading to learn the history of Earth Day and events you could partake in around Palm Beach and Broward counties to pay tribute to the day.
Earth Day History and Today
Earth Day began in 1970 when students and communities around the nation participated in peaceful demonstrations and events to promote environmental reform. The annual event is celebrated each year on the 22nd of April when billions of people worldwide use the day to demonstrate support for environmental protection. This year, 2016, will be a landmark date in the history of Earth Day due to the Paris Agreement anticipated to be signed by the U.S. and more than 120 other countries. The agreement will discuss and deal with greenhouse gases emissions mitigation, adaptation and finance starting in the year 2020.
Things to Do in South Florida for Earth Day
Looking for ways to make an environmental impact on Earth Day 2016? Here are some eco-friendly things you can do to celebrate the day.
- Plant a tree, clean up trash at the beach or a park, lead a recycling drive in your workplace or community and urge your local government officials to push for environmental based initiatives.
- South Florida Finds listed tons of environmentally friendly Earth Day things to do in Palm Beach and Broward counties.
- Celebrate our local environment by taking a trip through the Florida Everglades or to witness Florida’s beautiful coral reef systems, the only living coral barrier reef in the continental United States and the third largest in the world.
- The Florida Earth Festival will take place in Boca Raton the day after Earth Day on April 23. The event will celebrate the people, policies, products and services that move toward sustainability.
- The Great American Cleanup 2016 will be held on various dates during Earth Month. Volunteers will pick up trash, plant trees, find recycling projects and more. Find your local date and time on their website.
Earth Day in South Florida with Engineered Air
Using an energy efficient air conditioner and other home appliances is something you can do to reduce your environmental impact beyond April 22nd each year. Find more eco-friendly tips in the “Go Green” section of our blog. Contact our team at Engineered Air anytime if you have any other HVAC or energy efficiency concerns.